The History of Novigrad
A story wrapped in walls
Novigrad was settled in ancient times, and it is mentioned in written documents as Neapolis as far back as the 7th century.
Novigrad enjoyed a renaissance between the 8th and 9th centuries as the seat of a Frankish prince and the starting point for feudalisation. Its favourable position and fertile interior brought conquest by the Lombards, Franks, Venetians, Habsburgs, and Italians. The story of the Novigrad's walls and towers began during Venetian rule in the 13th century. After their construction, the walls were renovated a number of times, and are perhaps the best witness to the town's identity and the many builders of its proud history.
Top 5 traces of Novigrad's history
- the town walls, Novigrad's most complete architectural monument
- Parish Church of Sts. Maximus and Pelagius, built between the 5th and 6th century
- the free-standing bellower built in the style of St. Mark's Basilica in Venice, with a statue of the town's patron saint
- Belveder, the only 16th century seaside loggia in Istria
- a neo-Gothic building in the centre of Novigrad, built in the 1920's in the Venetian Gothic style